Friday 5 July 2013

Profound bliss

Is there a bliss more profound
than the removal of too tight shoes?

The toes, creaking and protesting through the day
scream in anticipation
as the wearer hobbles home.

As the boot zipper is lowered -
zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sigh
The escape of air is almost audible.
The feet expand further,
relax,
splay.
The first wriggle of toes results in deformity -
toes cramping at weird angles -
the blood starts to flow
the bones start to straighten.

The first step,
barefoot,
recalls a duck...
or a heavily pregnant woman.

Caught in the uncertainty of a too late discovery
I wondered
"should I turn back?"
I would miss my train, be late,
and able to walk quickly
elegantly.
Punctuality pressed.

Now
the sheepskin of slippers coddles and cushions
Perhaps I'll wear them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment