Monday 15 July 2013

Oh that's right, I quit sugar.

It's been a while since I quit sugar.  The days of withdrawal are long ago and now sugar laden substances don't even seem like food to me.  This is the best place to be.

Last week I had a facial.  I used to go once a month and then my financial circumstances changed and I couldn't afford them as often.  Now I can, but I'm time poor.  All of that means I hadn't seen my regular beautician since March.

She commented on how settled and clear my skin is looking.  The usual problems I have with congestion (I've never recovered from living in northern humid lands) were much reduced.  My skin wasn't as reactive and sensitive as it had been.  She asked me what I had changed.

I couldn't think of anything.  I shrugged.  She continued to exclaim about how amazing it was.  Then she asked me if I was still off sugar.

"Oh yes," I replied.

"Well that must be it," she replied.

"Oh yes, I suppose that's right.  It's so long ago and so much part of my life now, that I forget that I've given up sugar."

She continued with the usual reactions about how hard it must be and it sounds like a good thing to do, but that she would never be able to do it.

I rested back on the pillow and relaxed.

This was a great moment of recognition and a reminder that the hard work and struggles of withdrawing from an addictive substance were worth the pain.

The other thing I've noticed is how much my palate has changed.  I should disclose that I recently shared a macaroon with a friend.  I didn't enjoy it and felt sick afterwards.  Won't be going back any time soon.  In the meantime, I now eat my porridge with milk and a sprinkle of chia seeds or a seed and nut mix.  I make my porridge from a mixture of rolled oats and spelt and find they are naturally sweet.  If you had told me this back in the days of brown sugar sprinkled on (or maple syrup on special occasions) I would have had you committed.

I told colleagues that porridge is naturally sweet and I had to run away.

This is a lifestyle change that was relatively straightforward to implement and is paying dividends in lots of ways.  Now I'm off to feed my television and knitting addiction!

What choices have you made lately to improve your health?  What's the hardest thing you've ever given up?  How did you make it stick?




No comments:

Post a Comment