Wednesday 12 December 2012

First day on the job - & some things I noticed.

I started a new job today.  It's a part time project management role to develop a simulated learning environment in the mental health context - all subjects I'm very interested in.  I'm still doing everything else too!

On one hand it's been a while since I had a first day at work; on the other hand, everytime I turn up to work with a new client or a new group of people, it's almost like the first day at work.

My welcome was warm and people were expecting me.  They even knew what I was there to do.  The organisation I'm working with has a very strong sense of purpose and clarity about it's culture and values.  It's wonderful to step into such a strong culture.

The setting is great - right near two intersecting tram routes about five stops from the CBD. And there's this:


Courtyard garden at my new workplace - complete with tables, umbrellas and general loveliness.
(c) divacultura 2012
On my way to work, the old steam puffer that was en route to St Vincent's Hospital with a cargo of Christmas gifts went past.  I was at the tram stop on St Kilda Road between Federation Square and Flinders Street Station.  It was travelling very slowly and had slowed traffic coming over the Westgate Bridge during the morning peak.  (I catch public transport, so wasn't affected, but it had been all over the radio.)


There is a sign on the back proclaiming this as a :slow moving vehicle".
Very accurate
(c) divacultura 2012


After dinner in Chinatown last night, I discovered the water dragon sculpture which adorns the facade of the Chinese Museum.  It is made from recycled plastic bottles.  Its body ripples up about three storeys.  i think it's wonderful.

Water dragon
(c) divacultura 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment