Sunday 14 October 2012

Sunday slideshow

Finally, we have had some gorgeous weather in Melbourne!  I've had a very busy weekend (I was working for the Royal Australia College of Gynaecologists and Obstetricians as an actor) but had the opportunity to walk from one place to another along a very scenic route.  Here's some things I noticed.

I love the ornate decoration on the building belonging to the Victorian Artists' Society.

Victorian detail
(c) divacultura 2012
 Right next door to the Victorian Artists' Society is the back of the Eye and Ear Hospital.  I noticed that the fire safety door is topped with razor wire.  The door has a sign on it saying "do not obstruct".  I'm not sure whether the person who installed the razor wire read the sign. Such ugliness next to beauty.
Razor wire obstruction
(c) divacultura 2012

 The Catholic cathedral was looking pretty good today against the back drop of a azure.  I like this angled shot showing a tiny part of one of the cathedral's wings.

Glory
(c) divacultura 2012

 Here's the cathedral from a different angle, capturing the traffic lights in front.  I like the ideas of "direction" suggested by a church and traffic lights.


Intersection
(c) divacultura 2012
 Again the clear blue sky provides a wonderful back drop for the iron fence.  The palm tree seems whimsical in contrast.  (I did not use a filter on this shot - this really was the colour of the sky.)

Contrast
(c) divacultura 2012
 The urban landscape often juxtaposes nature and architecture.  Here, again with no filter, the Eye and Ear Hospital claims its space against the blue sky.
Urban landscape
(c) divacultura 2012



Walking along Albert Street in East Melbourne, there is a water feature.  In real life, it is unremarkable.  I was attracted to the movement of the water and the way the light played.  This first shot reminds me of crocodile skin.
Water I
(c) divacultura 2012
 This is the same pool of water, taken from a lower angle, facing away from the light and applying a filter.  I think the result is stunning.  It reminds me of folds of blue velvet.
Blue velvet
(c) divacultura 2012
In the top right hand corner of this shot, you can see the froth  created by the water from the fountain hitting the pool.  The foreground looks like there are two crocodiles sleeping under the water's surface.
Water Feature II
(c) divacultura 2012
 Another water shot - here you can see the movement of the water in the air and as it hits the pool.
Water feature III
(c) divacultura 2012
 Another urban landscape.  The tall pencil pines look modernist next to the low brick wall.
Urban landscape II
(c) divacultura 2012

And I couldn't resist the bright red foliage of this plant.  Each shot is a closer look than the last. Very pleased that I captured the bee.
Botanical I
(c) divacultura 2012
  
Botanical II
(c) divacultura 2012
Botanical III
(c) divacultura 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment