Sunday 12 August 2012

Sunday slide show

Now that I live in the west, I don't often go to St Kilda.  I used to hang out at the Espy quite a bit, soaking up the live music and the sunshine.  It's been a while.

I made the journey today to meet with my gal pals who make up my book group.  Today we were discussing a crime novel set in Melbourne in 1933, The Richmond Conspiracy by Andrew Grimes and we met at a cafe in Acland Street.  A birthday had been celebrated during the week, so we shared a bottle of bubbles as well.

When I left the house this afternoon, I had not finished reading the book.  I still had twenty pages to go!  The forty minutes of travelling on public transport to get there was very handy.  I finished the book in time to see the throngs of people at the markets along the Esplanade. (It took all my powers of concentration to read, as my fellow travellers were rowdy, on their way to the footy.)

I love that view out over Port Philip Bay, with the tall palm trees, and Luna Park and the Palais Theatre the monumental but shabby land marks.

Of course, I took some photos.

Luna Park entry.
(c) divacultura

Striving dragon
(c) divacultura 2012
 While I was waiting at the tram stop to travel home, the dragon swing boat started up and I noticed the dragon's head popping above the fence.

Iconic intersection
(c) divacultura 2012
 It was a busy day in St Kilda, but this shot suggests the streets are virtually empty.  There's a sense of foreboding.  Something could be about to happen.

St Kilda palm trees in front of Luna Park, heading towards Acland Street.
(c) divacultura 2012

Random shot
(c) divacultura 2012

Another in my series of random photos of the ground.  I took this leaning against the rail at the tram stop.  I like the industrial feel of it and the reflections of the road's line markings on the metal pole.

As my tram arrived at Flinders Street I noticed a baby elephant standing over in Federation Square. Apparently there is a whole herd of them hanging out in the city.  They've all been painted in honour of the Melbourne Zoo's baby elephant Mali.  Mali even painted one of them herself.  If I find it, I'll share a photo with you.  Here's the one elephant from both sides.

(c) divacultura 2012

(c) divacultura 2012
On the way home I started reading Simon Baron-Cohen's book, Zero Degrees of Empathy.  Lots of neuroscience so far, but highly readable in spite of that.

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY & YOU GET THE GIFTS!  Only one more week to enter!
As I contemplate renewing my commitment to divacultura for another year, I feel excitement and affection.  Thank you for sharing some of your time with me. As a thank you gift - and so I can gain a better sense of who's out there - I'll be giving away a pair of my hand knitted socks to two very lucky readers, where ever you are in the world (ie two readers will receive a pair of socks each).  To be in the running, leave a comment on this post by Friday 17 August 2012, stating why you like reading divacultura. My favourite responses will receive the prize (my decision is final).  Why not take the opportunity to sign up and follow too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment