Friday 20 July 2012

My favourite things - this week

1. I was back to working almost full time this week and regained appreciation for my freezer and my microwave.  I knew that I would be home late and out early and as the week wore on, I'd be too tired to cook.  I made some soups and basic sauces, divided it into serves and put it in the freezer.  By Wednesday night, I was very pleased that I had done this.  As my eyes closed during the 7pm news, I was able to thaw and heat good, nutritional food in the microwave and have a satisfying dinner each night. That reminds me, I must wash up...

2. Melbourne football crowds.  This may sound like it should be on my least favourite things list, but I do intend it to be here.  Tonight I arrived at Southern Cross Station in Melbourne city and had to make my way to Spencer Street, walking towards the tide of people heading to Etihad Stadium for Friday night football.  I've always admired the fact that Melbournians know how to behave when there's a lot of them together.  Everyone just works it out and generally everyone gets where they are going.  I put it down to the training from a young age.  Kids are used to being in crowds from the moment they can walk and so they grow up just knowing how to do it.

3. The Gertrude Street Projection Festival is my final favourite thing.  In fact, I'm just home from singing on the streets as part of the festival.  With the trains on my line hardly running, I was late, but the relaxed nature of singing on the street meant that I could slip into the back row, joining the sopranos part way through the third song on the set list.  We sang at this festival last year and I remember it being very cold.  I had tights on under my jeans and enough layers of clothing to make me resemble the Michelin Man.  This year was warm by comparison.  It was lovely to see people out on the street, enjoying the company of their friends and stopping to enjoy some music and projection art along the way.  It's free and runs for ten days.  Check it out if you're in town.

After we finished singing, I walked back into town to catch the train home and took some photos along the way.

Corner of Brunswick and Gertrude Streets, Fitzroy
(c) divacultura 2012

Lighting up the towers on Gertrude Street
(c) divacultura 2012

Charcoal Lane windows - I love the shadow the tree casts.
(c) divacultura 2012

Charcoal Lane windows - detail
(c) divacultura 2012

St Patrick's Cathedral on the way back to the station
(c) divacultura 2012

Stony silence
(c) divacultura 2012

Gothic corner of Melbourne
(c) divacultura 2012

Lights at the top end of town - looking over at the Princess Theatre
(c) divacultura 2012

Same view, but the fountain is blue and I've used a different filter.
(c) divacultura 2012

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful city we have! Thanks for the beautiful reminder, Tanya.

    ReplyDelete