Wednesday 25 April 2012

Indulgence day

It's been one of those days.  With the Anzac Day public holiday and grim wintry weather, I had no incentive to leave the house.  So I didn't.

I slept in! Enjoying the feeling of warmth under the covers while my nose and ears felt the cool air in the room.  I read a book in bed for a couple of hours and realised that I'm going to need better book reading light.  It's been such a long time since I had the opportunity to read in bed that I hadn't noticed.

I cooked a proper lunch:  puy lentils braised with onion, garlic and olive oil, tossed with diced red capsicum and continental parsley and dressed with red wine vinegar.  This was served on toasted pumpkin sourdough bread with homemade beetroot relish.  I crumbled some Danish fetta over the top and served it with baby spinach and rocket leaves.  Delicious!

I indulged myself with some solid DVD watching (Season 2 of the Australian series, Spirited) and made the time productive by keeping my knitting needles active.  Outside the wind blew, the rain fell and inside seemed a very sensible and appealing place to be.

It's been ages since I had a day like this.  I've been on the go constantly, including interstate travel which means when I'm home there's always stuff to be done.  Or I end up working.  It's the nature of being self employed.  I'm not complaining.  It's just not as easy to work when most of the country is on a holiday.  No one was contacting me for a start.

I'm glad I took today for myself.  I have a very busy end to this week and then a solid week of work next week.  Seizing the day doesn't have to mean frenzy.  It can also mean quiet indulgence.

What did you do today?


No comments:

Post a Comment