Saturday 13 August 2011

Beware the Banksia Men

I took this photo today in the street where I live.
The gum nut babies are in bloom.  The little ragged blossoms are showing their petticoats.  Spring is coming!

As I child I loved May Gibbs' books about Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.  And every time I see the gum nuts and the blossoms I think of these characters.  What a gorgeous imagination she had - to see these little characters in the Australian native flora and give them names and personalities.

Little Ragged Blossom - you can see where she came from.

Like all good stories there has to be a villain and May Gibbs created the Banksia Men.  Hairy, with multiple mouths and very, very wicked, chasing gum nut babies and stealing them away.  I was terrified of Banksia plants because of the Banksia Men.

Perhaps you can see why I still look over my shoulder when I walk past a Banksia.  I wouldn't want him to follow me.




No comments:

Post a Comment